Monday, June 23, 2008

Weekend Fun!

We spent Sat with our friend Sam and his kids having fun in the mountains. I love that we live so close to mountains, there is something so peaceful and relaxing about them. And its always nice to be able to get out of the heat and cool off for a few hours.


A few years ago we found these caves. Well they are technically Lava tubes but tomato tamato ;) Sam had never been through them so we went up knowing the kids would love it. We took Luke a few times last year and he had a blast each time. You need flashlights to explore them. Its so dark you can't see your hand in front of your face. That's the case with the picture above, we turned off the flashlights and Dewey took the pic. You can see some of the vivid colors in the background. And y'all know I would not crawl around a cave in a skirt...... its a skort, shorts included. It seems that I um...humph...gained a few pounds in the past year and its what fits, so there ya go.
There are several different caves to explore. On this one Dewey and Sam stayed up top with the "Little's" and I took Sam's two oldest kids through it. Parts of it you are literally crawling and scooting on your stomach, cool stuff.

I love the view from this vista, the red and white rocks with the green tree's are stunning. Kolby still has not got the hang of looking at the camera. I don't think we have one picture with all of us where you can see his face.


There is a beautiful lake not to far from the caves. As soon as Kolby saw he took off running straight towards it and then right in. It was a good thing I packed three outfits each.


This is Dewey helping the kids look for frogs. And the little black smudge on the right is Skip (our dog) running his fool head off, exploring everything.

Look at the smile on Luke's face, does it get any better for a boy then to hold an actual frog? (we made a big production of letting all the frogs go back into the lake....no frogs were harmed in the making of this picture :)



And finally we went to a campground to have dinner. We (meaning Dewey) built a fire and the kids got to roast hot dogs. This little stream was right next to our spot. Isn't it just beautiful?

It was such a fun day, just relaxing and playing with nature.

6 comments:

Anna said...

What a wonderful day Stacey. I love all the photos. You're a brave woman crawling around in those caves. I think I would get a bit claustrophobic in there!

You all (including your dog) looked like you had a great time!

Take care,
Anna

Susannah said...

man, you sound like yall have so much fun! i wonder if i could make my life seem that fun? I should try it out one weekend and see if it works. your boys are going to have so a great time living out there with all of those adventures! talk to you soon!
susannah

Ruthanne said...

WOW!! What a GREAT day in a beautiful setting!! Gorgeous.

Heidi said...

How fun to just get out and explore nature like that! Those caves sound really cool.

Wilcox Family said...

Great pictures, I LOVE the family pictures where no one is loooking at the camera, adorable. For how much I love the Ocean, the mountains call to me equally, your day sounded dreamy, a little bit of heaven... Jana

Lisa Johnson said...

Stacey I absolutely loved reading about your day !! We have hills in Texas, but I remember the days I lived near mountains. Once pre-kids when I was living in Vegas and we use to drive up all the time to Brianhead to go snowboarding, or the many different placed we used to hike. Then again when we lived in Scottsdale for a year. Anna loved it there! The mountains were right outside the window!