Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Summer Solstice

To the north of us is a place called Parowan Gap. It is much as the name implies a V shaped rock gap opening from a canyon into a valley. Only it is much much more, you knew it would be right :) Ancient petroglyphs abound and it is considered sacred ground by the Native Americans. Once a year on summer soltice the sun sets exactly right down the middle of the gap. To mark this occasion on Saturday evening there was a gathering with experts to explain what was happening. Fasinating stuff!! As it turns out these petroglyphs date back to 3000BC. They were used as a calendar and map, the gap was the super highway of its day. Who knew, well the experts did but I did'nt.
See the V with the ball at the end thats the gap with the valley. There are 180 small marks you can't see in the picture that represent days.

This one is the lunar calendar with days and weeks marked off.

After a very interesting lecture we walked about a half mile to have the best view of the sun setting.
Look shadow family.

I know you are not supposed to take pictures into the sun. And when you do this is what happens, but I still like them.


This is my face when I am trying to process the words coming out of an Astrophysicist's (you better believe I had to look up the spelling on that word) mouth. Can't you just picture those little squirrels working up a sweat on a treadmill trying to get my brain to keep up :)

Random cute pic of Kolby. He was hopping around when I was taking pictures trying to get in the shot, he cracks me up.

Beautiful right?

So happy we did not miss this opportunity to learn and experince the wonder of nature.

No comments: