Thursday, July 12, 2012

Texas ya'll

Who visits South East Texas right smack dab in the middle of summer????
WE DO!
Well three of us do, Dewey stayed home to work and take care of the farm all things animal and green.
The boys and I drove to Las Vegas, hopped on a plane, stopped in Dallas and landed in Houston last Tues, July 3rd. And if I can just brag for a minute, the boys were both so good on the planes. I'm sure everyone has an "annoying kid while flying" stories. I'm proud to say my kids did not provide any stories for strangers. Luke seriously acts like an old pro while flying. On one of the planes we hit turbulence and the plane started bouncing. Kolby and I held hands with our eyes wide open. (there may have been a slight look of panic in them) Luke was chatting away about something totally unconcerned with whatever the plane was doing.
We made it safe and sound only to be slapped in the face as soon as we stepped outside by the heat and humidity :)
My brother Steve flew down on the same day to meet us there. We packed in loads of fun stuff the whole time.
Including stopping at the lovely little town of Columbus to see the birth place of the Texas Rangers.


My little brother Jordan is starting at TLU in the fall. (so proud of him, he got a full academic scholarship plus playing on the football team) We stopped by the campus so we could look around. Its a beautiful campus. Luke is holding a Bucky beaver. We also stopped at Buc-ee's which is holy cow the biggest and nicest truck stop I have ever seen. Of course the boys had to have their very own Buc-ee beaver. You will also notice everyone in the photo wearing Nike's I didn't get the memo and wore gasp sandals so they wouldn't let me be in the picture. Ok so really I was taking the picture but that would have been funny, and almost true.

I just love this picture of my brother Steve and Luke, holding hands in their little almost matching shoes and shorts walking the streets of San Antonio.

I burst out laughing when I saw this picture. Luke is doing his classic eyes closed looking into the sun forced smile. Kolbys is pure hot and tired forced smile. For some reason I remembered the Alamo being a lot bigger the last time I was here. Of course it was 102 years ago and I was not much bigger then the boys but still.

We made our way to the San Antonio river walk which I loved! Lush and green with lots of yummo restaurants. We ate at a British Pub for lunch, they even had a gasp vegetarian section to the menu. I had a delicious veggie BLT. (you would be surprised how easy it is to make me happy)

We took a river boat tour, mostly because I'm a nerd and love all the fun facts you can only learn from a tour guide. Luke made it all of two minutes before he was out, fast asleep on Uncle Jordans shoulder.

Back in Katy there was park time with a roller slide a hit with the boys.

In case you didn't know it was hot, this is a picture of how Kolby looked most of the time..... wet and drippy. (he bit a hole in the bottom of the water bottle....don't ask hes a 5 year old boy)

The last day before we left we went to the Houston zoo. This is the first zoo for Luke (we took Kolby to the Guatemala city zoo when he was one, he slept through the whole thing so really this could be considered his first time too) Needless to say they LOVED every minute. I have asked them several times since we have been home what their favorite part was and they each say something different each time. But if I had to guess Luke's favorite would be the dinosaurs.

I mean look at this pure happy smile on his face. Kolby was a little sure that the dino robots were going to eat him up. Luke wanted a picture taken with each and every one.

I think Kolby's favorite were the monkeys.


We had a wonderful vacation. The boys simply adore their uncles, all three of them. Adore to the point of the uncles being near super hero's in their eyes. They could not have been happier hanging out with them. I'm so thankful that we were able to make the trip and spend time with everyone. Huge thanks to our Katy family for everything you did for us we really appreciate it!!!
Adventure on our way back when one of our flights got canceled as we stood at the check-in counter. They got us on a different airline different layover city with us getting to Las Vegas two hours earlier. Great except there was not an extra two hours in our timeframe. The boys and I literally ran to make both flights. (kolby holding onto the strap on the carry on and me yelling "knees up, run run" We got to each as they were boarding. For those of you that know me know that this is something that would make me CRAZY. Luckily I have the very best hubby who took a shuttle to Las Vegas to meet us at the airport and drive us home.

No comments: