Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snow & Cold

Being that its January 16 it should not come as a shock to me that its winter. Not to mention the fact that I have lived in Utah for the past 100 years or so, I should know the drill, winter means cold and snow. But people it has been WEEKS since the temps have been above freezing.....WEEKS.

Here's the thing with a farm, even when the temps drop to the double digit negative you still have to go outside. Even the cats who normally follow me around when I'm outside have been staying in.
 The chickens find whatever "warm" spot they can to hang out during the day, then hurry back to their heated chicken coop as soon as the sun goes down. When I go out to feed at night its like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock "The Birds". I think every bird in a mile radius hangs out trying to warm up and sneak the chickens feed. When I walk in there is a mass exodus. You will know if/when one hits me in the head because I will freak out. The only reason it hasn't happened so far is that I have been quick on the ducking of my person.


We took these pics a few weeks ago when we were still able to step outside without turning into a people-cicle.

Luke just couldn't let fresh untouched snow go without leaving his mark

Silly, happy kid.
 Both boys love the snow and have been asking when we can build another igloo.

Notice anything wrong with this picture??

That's right -22 degrees is very very wrong. Let me do the math for you, the temperature has to go UP 54 degrees to get to FREEZING. 
Every morning when the weather comes on the news I check to see if we are the coldest place in the state. 3 out of 4 times we are. To which I then jump around saying woop-eeeee we win. I'm sure that Dew never tires of this and appreciates me reminding him that we have made our home in the coldest place in the state of Utah.
The satellite guy is coming out today to fix our dish which apparently froze and snapped its "hold together on the roof" parts. (pretty sure that's its official name)  The water is slowly running in our faucets to try to avoid the big pipe freeze of 2007 which involved a backhoe digging up most of our yard and us not having water for a week. The heater runs constantly to keep the house at 68 also to avoid the pipes freezing.
Good times people good times.

1 comment:

J. Wilcox said...

LOVE this...so sorry for the cold. You know it has been freezing here too. You must prepare before you come. Here's a little video to let you know how us Californians are coping, lol: Can't wait to see you all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6t-EjrtD3U