Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Karate

 Karate....what can I say it has pretty much taken over our lives. About 6 months ago we signed up the boys for karate. My theory when it comes to sports is "try everything and see what sticks". We have tried wrestling and soccer. Both were fun but no real excitement, I thought that's what this new adventure would be.  Wrong!! From the first class both Luke and Kolby LOVE LOVE it.
 We started two days a week. Every class Kolby would smile and have fun. Luke took to it with an intensity we had not seen before. They both earned stripes and it didnt take Luke long to earn his yellow belt.
 Kolby was not far behind him.
 Before we started my sum total knowledge of karate was having watched the "Karate Kid" (wax on wax off) and I had heard of Bruce Lee. I would like to say I'm an expert now but that's far from the truth. I am learning more and more every day though. We were incredibly lucky to find an amazing Dojo and Sensei. The Dojo has a competition team that Luke tried out for and made. This means he has class 5 days a week. Even with that many hours in he still comes home to continue practicing.
 So our former playroom now looks like this.
 His first competition is in a few weeks. He is beyond excited. I don't know quite what to expect having never seen one. I'm hoping for the best, and trying not to be an overprotective mom by saying things like "wait is my baby going to get hit". I know with Luke's size the confidence he gets from this is immeasurable. And as long as he has the passion for it he seems to I'll support him all the way.
So far Kolby says he is not interested in competing and is happy with his two day a week classes. If both boys are happy I'm happy.

No comments: