Thursday, March 27, 2014

First karate competition

 We spent last weekend in Ogden, for Luke and Dewey's very first Karate Competition. The picture above sums up Luke's attitude. He wasn't worried, nervous, nothing. He just walked out there all intense and ready. I burst into tears watching him. I was so emotional thinking about this amazing boy who has accomplished so much. (tears were a pattern for me)
 This was his weapons routine. He was amazing!!
Out of the four finalist he took second!!!
 Next came sparring, he started with "first timers".
 He did great went point for point.
 But in the end lost by 2 points. Then it was on to his actual division sparring. Much more intense, again he got right in there but almost immediately took a kick to the ribs. Instantly I started sobbing, I knew he was fine but it didn't help. His Sensei came over to me and told me to knock it off and not to let Luke see me. (rightly so)  Luke got right back in there and finished the fight and never said one word about being sore. So he is warrior, I am a WIMP.
 Dewey started Karate a little over a month ago and has been hooked ever since. His sparring didn't go as planned, we thought it would be in the afternoon, but they called him up as Luke was doing sparring in another ring at 10am. So Dewey had to run over and suit up without stretching or preparing.
 Even so I think he did great!!!! Not great pictures since I was running back and forth. But I'm so proud of him for getting in there and giving it his all.
 Luke also performed a Korean traditional routine.
 He did fantastic but didn't place in his division.
 Happy boys showing off their competitor wrist bands.
 Auntie Liz and Uncle Gary drove up on Saturday to support the family.
 It really was a great weekend. We got to spend time getting to the know the competition team better. Wonderful kids and family members. We all went to eat Saturday afternoon and had a blast.
 Kolby was so supportive. He also takes karate and loves it. But so far has said he has no interest in competing. So he stuck with me as we went from ring to ring cheering everyone on.
Luke ending up with three gold trophies and the orange ribbon he is wearing is his second place. He is 100% hooked, since we have been home all he talks about is the next competition. And we found out yesterday he is ready to test for his orange belt. One happy happy boy.

No comments: