Friday, March 9, 2012

Stingray adventure

This was the first time I had ever snorkeled, that being said I can not stress to you enough just how big of a dork I am. While still in the boat Dew gave me snorkeling 101 lessons. Me "I can't breathe" Dew "open your mouth, you breathe out of your mouth not your nose" "oh yea, got it that's what the mouthpiece tubey thing is for". Once in the ocean I put my head in the water and then immediately popped back up to explain "hey you can see fish down here, its like being in an aquarium". I'm pretty sure this was not news to anyone but me. I LOVED snorkeling, every minute and didn't care about my dorkiness in the least little bit.


How cute is this stingray? Their tops feel a little like sandpaper and their underside feels like velvet, so so soft.

One of the guides said "want a stingray massage?" who wouldn't say yes to that? He preceded to place one of the stingrays swimming by on my back. I might talk a brave talk but you can see on my face I'm not altogether sure if this is the bestest idea. It was quick and was the soft side, actually felt kinda cool.



They gave us squid to feed the stingrays. Gross holding the squid and very strange to have the stingray swim over your hand to suck it up.


Dew was a master at it. Much better at holding the squid and not being freaked out about the stingray sucking in a whole hand like I was.



As we were leaving the guides informed us its seven years good luck to kiss a stingray. I ask you who can pass up the chance of seven years good luck? And just look at that sweet kissable face :) And no I wasn't the only one to do it me and another woman in our group jumped at the chance. Well not jumped exactly but were standing near the guide holding the stingray. Let the good luck start.




Oh how I love this picture and the blue blue water, it was taken by Jeff in our group. I can't believe we were just there. So glad he shared it.



Dewey and I had a little disposable water camera that ran out of film right after we got in the water with the stingrays. (in my defence we snorkeled first, see above dork comment and I did get lots of cool fishy pics) A complete stranger took the picture of my "back massage". She heard Dew say we were out of film and offered to take the pictures for us. As we were standing in the ocean without pens to write down names and numbers she gave us her email to remember. We got in contact once we were home and she sent us several pictures she took, how nice is that?
Wonderful memories of Grand Cayman.












No comments: