Friday, August 12, 2011

Full Swing Garden Mode

This was our garden just a few months ago....

TA-DA (That's a Kolby original pose)
Great big huge jungle leaves??? Yep we have them.


So far we have an ABUNDANCE of lettuce and squash. Our guinea pigs are pretty spoiled with their gourmet menu.



Tomatoes nope not a one. You might remember last year we had so many I canned salsa and tomato sauce and still had plenty. This year NONE. Because I'm just a pinch on the crazy side I have been asking everybody I see if they have tomatoes in their garden. And apparently nobody else does either. I guess something freaky in the weather/wind/full moon this year the tomatoes didn't like. But the important thing is I'm not a tomato failure :)



I was doing so good at keeping up with the squash. I served it every night in some way for dinner. (pay no attention to Dewey claiming he refuses to eat anymore until next year) You name a recipe and I made it, well all the ones without meat. I was also cutting blanching and freezing a bag a night. And anybody that knocked on our door I didn't let leave without taking some. It was a good solid plan and worked for awhile. However mother nature works much faster then I do, I missed one maybe two days and I swear I lost the battle. The boys and I went out and picked 4 LARGE bags of various types of squash. In the midst of me having a stress attack about wasting so much food I remembered that we have a little Care and Share (food pantry) in town. I called and asked if they accept donations and me and the boys loaded the car. I have to say it was a really good feeling giving our veggies to those that need them. When we took them in they were the only fresh food I saw. It was also a great opportunity to teach the boys about charity and how blessed we are to have enough to be able to share.




Just this week our peas have ripened...yum-E If you came to our house you just might see Kolby and I sitting in the garden eating them right off the plant.



I really do love gardening and think its a fun project for the whole family. Getting all the fresh veggies is just a great big plus. Keep your fingers crossed for our pumpkins, they are Kolbys favorites he checks them everyday. I just don't think they are going to make it before we have our first frost. I swear shortest growing season ever.


Luke and Kolby pretending they are in a jungle



Have a great weekend everyone!!

















1 comment:

Hannah said...

Wow. Your garden looks great! We had tons of grape tomatoes but not a single bell pepper. Even our hot peppers didn't make it. Weird.