Friday, February 25, 2011

Siding with Kolby

Birds are a little scary......
(see previous post)
On our little farm the rule (implemented by me) is that any and all animals that come to live here get to happily live out the rest of their natural lives here. Being a city, rose colored glasses girl I was not aware that a roosters "natural" life is not all that long in the country. So.... we are on our 6Th rooster since having chickens. Which by the way if anyone is wondering if its an economical choice over just buying eggs at the store its not. Unless you spend $30-$40 on eggs a month. But it is a good choice if you are a vegetarian who gets creeped out by store bought eggs :)
Anyway this rooster named Sparky (boys choice) is HUGE and a little bit aggressive.
I am currently sporting bruises and scratches from him jumping (not sure if that's the correct term, whatever it is they do) at me. This might also prove that chickens are not that smart, "hello I'm trying to feed you, be a little nice" So every night when I go out to feed I wear these knee high boots (they help with the ankle high mud too)
And hold a garbage can lid as a shield to protect myself. Last night it occurred to
A. How funny I must look
B. How I can now relate to Kolby being afraid of birds.


I thought I should share some very non scary pictures too. This is Twister who follows me with his head almost on my shoulder as soon as he sees me and knows I'm going to feed him.


And Whooly who is boss of the herd so its his job to be a little standoffish. Dewey might use different phrases not quite as polite :) but I like to see it my way.


Have a great weekend all!!



1 comment:

Hannah said...

I am cracking up at the thought of your mean rooster...but having grown up on a farm I can totally understand :)

LOVE the pictures of the horses. I am always in awe of their beauty and strength.