Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Bailey

 
 
7/2000 - 12/1/2012
 
It was a beautiful September day in 2000 when I first saw the cutest little wiggly ball of Lhasa Apso fur. It was love at first sight, I simply melted when I held Bailey in my arms. She was hardly bigger then the size of my hand. From that point on we were inseparable. She spent her youth as a city dog but adapted very nicely to being a country pup.
Our family joke was that we put up a fence for the dogs in the backyard. Skip won't leave the yard unless you force him and Bailey learned how to wiggle her way through the fence whenever she wanted.... thus no point to the fence.  
She followed me everywhere in the house. She slept in our bed next to me. As soon as the garage door opened when I came home everyday she was waiting. She would run to my car and poke her head in as soon as I opened the door. That is love in its purest form.
  
 
At 12 years old she started to have health issues which have gotten progressively worse. Thankfully she went down hill rather quickly. I don't believe she suffered. On Sat Dewey and I made the decision that it was her time to go. As fate would have it the Veterinarian on call was the country vet just down the road from us. I had never taken Bailey to him as I had heard from numerous sources that he is a farm doc and very gruff in nature. (and the honest truth is that I didn't want a lecture about my pampered little princess pup) So this stranger saw more raw emotion from me then people who have know me my entire life have seen. But as it turned out he was incredibly compassionate and respectful with Bailey. As hard as it was I'm blessed to have been by Baileys side as she took her last breath.

 
I spent the weekend in tears. There are a million little things that are different now that shes gone and its so very hard. But I also know that she is in a better place now happy and healthy. And I am a better person for having had her 12 and a half years of unconditional love.
Dewey has been amazing, he is as ever my rock. Everybody handles grief in their own way. He understands that I am not OK and not handling this very well. He has been there every step of the way letting me go through the emotions involved in the loss of a constant companion. I'm thankful beyond belief for his love and support. 
The boys have been wonderful offering up lots of hugs because they know mom is very sad and misses Bailey now that she is in heaven.
Goodbye my friend , until we meet again....

No comments: