Thursday, April 12, 2012

Just another week in our lives..

On Tuesday Dewey had to drive across the state (12 hours round trip) on a work errand. I had the kids in their pajamas and it was supposed to be relax time before they went to bed. But as is the norm for them they were rolling around on the floor wrestling. I might add not five feet away from where I was standing. So I had a front row seat to Luke jumping on Kolbys back and Kolbys head hitting the tile floor. (I should also add this happens a lot to both of them) He managed to hit the exact spot he had his demoed cyst removed a few years ago...... opening the scar open again. I grabbed a towel to stop the bleeding and called Dewey. (I knew he was still 4 hours away but its my natural first reaction.) I told him what happened and he said "hang up and call dad". Dewey is well aware of my limitations in this area, I'm not good with blood ever, and even worse when the boys are hurt. However his dad who has a PHD in hurt boys thanks to dewey and his brother Jason spending a good part of their childhood getting themselves injured. (for example "I bet we could fly just like superman lets jump of the roof" type of behavior) In less then five minutes grandpa arrived making all three of us feel a lot better. (Luke was feeling guilt pangs for being part of the accident) He took one look at Kolbys head and said "get your shoes on we are going to the hospital". And 4 stitches later Kolby was back in one piece. Kolby was a trooper in big part to grandpa being their to hold his hand.
The next morning when Kolby was telling Dewey about the hospital it went a little like this "dad it was so cool, well not the medicine part (the shots in his head) but they gave me a bracelet (id tag), toys (a little bag with a coloring book, crayons, and a few trinkets) and they have a snack box (vending machine). I love how this child sees the best in everything situation. I pray he keeps his "glass is half full" attitude always.


It was Luke's week to be "Star Student" at school. I have known about this for oh I don't know EIGHT months. And I swear I have thought a lot about what we would do and the cute picture board I would put together for him. However time flew by and it snuck right up on me. After spending Easter weekend with Liz and Gary it was about 8:00 on Sunday night I looked at his list which had his activities for the week just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. For some reason I thought we had until this Fri to have his Star board in....negative it was supposed to be there Monday morning. FRICK!! Now you all know I have literally thousands of pictures of the boys, however I'm not the best at printing them out. (I know this about myself, that's the main reason for this blog, since I have not done scrapbooks or photo albums this serves as our family story) So I scrambled to go through the photos I did have and threw this together. Luke seemed happy with it and I guess that's what matters. (not my pride in having the perfect project put together)

On Monday he got to pick our five things to take to school to talk about who he is. He choose to take a little Lego ship he made, some Star Wars guys, a soccer ball, his Cowboys jersey and a globe to show where he was born (Kazakhstan)
On Tuesday they went on a field trip to Snow Canyon. That night he told us about it. "We went in a cave and there were spiders in it, and I'm not a "spider explorer" (he made the quotation marks in the air)". Having never seen him use quotation marks before dewey asked him about it, Luke said " quotation marks what does that mean I was doing spider fangs". Needless to say we were rolling on the floor laughing.
On Wednesday we wrote a letter to him that had to be in a sealed envelope to be read to him by his teacher. I deemed the fact that he is still only in first grade I could be a little mushy but I tried not to go overboard :)
Thursday is his buddy lunch, he gets to pick someone to come to school to have lunch with him. It was a toss up between dad and grandpa but in the end Dewey got to go. (hum... weird that I don't recall hearing my name mentioned)

I took Kolby in this morning and they said his stitches look great .(they look a little Frankenstein to me but I guess that's why I'm not a doctor) He gets them out on Sunday.
So all in all just another week in this adventure we call life.

No comments: