Saturday, July 24, 2010

We have a garden!!!!

You might not think that's a big deal but this was our fourth try (and definitely last if it didn't grow) so I didn't hold out much hope for this year.
I just could not believe I'm a vegetarian who can not grow veggies.
So this year we went big, we started in April planting seeds to grow inside the house. (part of the problem is our very short growing season)
This is the boys taking their gardening jobs very seriously.


We got through the first hurdle the plants (for the most part) grew. Here they are ready to plant.

Next Dewey put up hay bales on both ends to act as a wind break (another big issue here) and fencing to keep the chickens out.

Here it is with everything planted. The plants that you can actually see are from my amazing garden extraordinaire mother in law. She has a green house and a green thumb. Lucky for us she had to many plants for her garden so she shared them with us.

Like I said at the beginning even with all this work I sort of assumed the plants would die. So........ I may have planted WAY to many squash plants. I was playing the odds plant 10, if 8 die I still have 2. I love love squash so that was a must in our veggie choice. We did also plant beets, carrots, peas, peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers and pumpkins.

As you can see the squash took over!!! No more neat little walking paths between the rows. One whole corner we can't even get to. But look at all that green. Everything grew, YOOHOO!!! We only had to add a few more hay bales and more fencing, sneaky chickens found a way in.
We have a real garden!!!
Now that we know we can do it we have all kinds of plans for next year to fix everything we did wrong this year.
In the mean time we pick this much squash every other day. Anybody have any good squash freezing recipes? As it is we are eating some form of squash every night for dinner. And I'm pretty sure people pretend to not be home when they see us coming with bags of squash. Who knew not everybody loves it?








1 comment:

Hannah said...

You ended up with a great garden! We totally skipped this year. It was just too much. I miss it though so I am sure next year it will be back :)