Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lukes first day of Kindergarten

Wow how time flies, Luke started kindergarten today.
When we brought Luke home he had just turned two. He was so small and didn't talk at all. With the help of our pediatrician we started Early intervention. We said from the beginning that we wanted him caught up by Kindergarten. We were told very politely not to get our hopes up. Instead of saying "we wanted" we started to say "he will be" caught up.
Last week Luke went in for his evaluation to see where he tested for his age. It was thought he might need an all day Kindergarten for further help.
He tested right on par for his age!!!!!
I am amazed and humbled by the progress he has made the last few years.


Dewey and I spent an hour going over every thing we thought he might need to know for his big day. I'm pretty sure he knew we were just as nervous as he was.


At his evaluation Luke informed Dewey and his teacher that he would be taking the bus everyday. In my head....... wait ,what I'm supposed to put my baby on that great big bus by himself... no not going to happen. With my voice "really wow that will be fun and exciting.......sob"
This morning the whole family walked Luke to the bus stop (at the end of our property) to wait for the bus. When the bus pulled up Luke calmly walked on, sat down and waved to us through the window.

Impressive that I could take a picture while crying.
Ok so we let him ride the bus it doesn't mean I wasn't a watchful mother hen. We followed the bus to school to make sure he made it into his class. The principal was out front, I told him what we were doing. He just laughed and said we weren't the only ones.
Kolby and I went to school to make sure he made it on the bus. Notice the erasers in Kolbys hand he had to have a back back and school stuff just like big brother.

When Luke walked out of his class he was holding a little girls hand. He later told me that she was really scared of the bus so we was helping her be less afraid. I'm so proud of him!!
He just got on the bus like he does it every day.
And yes I jumped in the car to beat the bus home and wait for him :)








3 comments:

Hannah said...

Happy First Day of Kindergarten!! It does not seem like he should be so big.

I hope he has a great year!!

Ruthanne said...

Awww...I can't even imagine yet how hard it will be to send my first one to K. I don't blame you a bit for following the bus...pretty sure I'll be doing the same thing. ;)

Dan and Haley said...

How stinking cute!!! Yay!! Congrats Luke!!! :)